Barnes & Cohen wins a $2.4 million premises liability settlement for a serious injury due to inadequate security by property owner.
NEGLIGENT HAZARDS THAT CAUSE ACCIDENTS
- Negligent security resulting in violent assaults, sexual assaults, shootings and robberies
- Failure to screen employees with background checks, resulting in assaults, robberies or day care injuries
- Inadequate safety and/or violation of standard procedures at day care or nursing home facilities resulting in injuries or even death
- Swimming pool inadequate security resulting in drownings
- Unsecured manhole covers
- Poor elevator maintenance resulting in accidents
- Escalator injuries
- Building code violations (stairs not the right height, etc.)
- Safety code violations (lack of smoke detectors in apartments, etc.)
- Toxic mold
- Poorly installed or maintained lights/chandeliers that fell down
- Poorly lighted parking lots
- Broken railings
- Dangerous chemicals used or stored improperly, resulting in injury
- Boxes falling from shelves
- Blocked or unmarked exits resulting in injuries during a fire or violent assault or shooting
- Debris in aisles, resulting in slip-and-fall accidents
- Unrestrained, aggressive dogs resulting in dog bite attacks
IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT
In many cases, owners aren’t taking care of their property. It’s not a safe environment. For example, when a woman slipped on broken glass in a liquor store, the owner had a duty to keep the store safe.
All property owners have the responsibility to keep the premises free from crime. The owner is guilty of neglect if he or she does not take the proper steps toward safety. For example, an ATM machine located in a poorly lighted, secluded area resulted in a victim being robbed and shot. The bank in question had researched placing the machine in a different location but decided the other option was going to cost more. A hotel owner should have adequate locks installed on the hotel room doors, guests have a right to be safe. Businesses need to do background checks on employees and should not hire questionable characters.
NOT SURE WHAT YOUR CASE IS WORTH? GET A FREE CONSULTATION.
Speak with a personal injury attorney before talking to the insurance company or accepting any offer. Contact Barnes & Cohen and protect your rights, Hablamos español. With offices in Jacksonville, St. Marys and Brunswick, we are convenient to find. In Florida, call 904-300-1659. In Georgia, call 912-208-2578.
Over 4 Decades of Successful Personal Injury Experience
2747 Art Museum Drive, Suite 500
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Kingsland/St. Marys Office
Kingsland/St. Marys Office
887-H Kings Bay Rd.
St. Marys, GA 31548